Read our top tips for having a great time and staying safe.
Did you know –
- Candles caused around 1,000 UK house fires, resulting in 9 deaths and 388 casualties, in 2011/12.
- Fairy lights went up in smoke causing 20 fires, while Christmas trees, decorations and cards were also a fire risk and responsible for 47 house fires, leading to 20 non-fatal casualties, across the UK.
(Source: 2011/12 Fire Statistics Great Britain from the Department for Communities and Local Government).
A real Christmas tree in your home requires special fire safety precautions to be taken. A burning tree can rapidly fill a room with fire and deadly gases.
This can be seen by viewing the following video:
Our 12 “Do’s” For A Safe Christmas
- DO NOT USE CANDLES OR TEA LIGHTS ON A REAL CHRISTMAS TREE.
- Do place all candles and tea lights in a proper heat resistant holder on a solid surface away from all combustibles such as curtains, wrapping paper, Christmas cards, paper decorations and garlands.
- Do keep all candles away from areas where they could be knocked over by children or pets.
- Do not move candles when they’re burning. Extinguish candles before moving them. Also, don’t let anything fall into the hot wax like match sticks.
- Do extinguish candles before going out or to bed. Never place a burning candle in a child’s bedroom.
- Do ensure that before you light an open fire in your grate that the chimney has been swept of soot by a professional to avoid a possible chimney fire.
- Do use only proper fire lighters designed for that purpose and follow the manufacturers’ instructions for use. NEVER use petrol or any other fuel!
- Do keep open fires guarded with a fire screen at all times, especially important if there are children or pets in your home. Wood will spit (spark) and eject pieces of burning wood especially if it is wet.
- Do use only proper tools to tend the fire e.g. tongs, poker etc
- Do not overload plug sockets with extension leads to power your Christmas decorations. Use 1 socket per plug. Turn off all Fairy lights when you go out or go to bed.
- Do not let the bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, like paper.
- DO ENJOY YOUR CHRISTMAS DINNER BUT DO NOT COOK WHEN YOU HAVE HAD TOO MUCH TO DRINK. MOST FIRES BEGIN IN THE KITCHEN.
Follow our safety tips and have a wonderful Christmas but if the worst happens, get out, stay out and call 999.