A recent report from the London Fire brigade once again highlights potential risks of lithium-ion batteries being charged using incorrect and unofficial chargers following a fire at a house converted into flats at Streatham Hill, in September 2022.
A communal area on the ground floor of the building was destroyed by fire. Most of a first-floor communal area was also damaged by the blaze. Firefighters used a short extension ladder to assist a woman from a flat roof to ground level. A further man and two children were also assisted to ground level. A woman was taken to hospital.
Even when taking precautions with lithium-ion batteries it is also sensible to have the correct fire extinguisher nearby and in serviceable condition. This is especially true in shared housing or flats etc, where there are a higher number of high-powered lithium-ion powered devices such as e-bikes, e-scooters, laptops etc belonging to tenants.
Fire and Safety Solutions Ltd can advise landlord and supply and service the correct fire extinguishers for lithium-ion devices, please contact us for further details.
The original London Fire Brigade article can also be found here: https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/incidents/2022/september/flat-fire-streatham-hill/